CCA's popular Safety for Cruising Couples (SCC) seminars have been presented to hundreds of participants each year as a public service to the cruising community. Handbook on sale here.
Created by dedicated and experienced members of the Cruising Club of America, it is structured around our handbook, below.
The new edition includes updated basics about electronic navigation aids, expanded guidelines for calling for help using a VHF radio, ways to deal with various onboard emergencies, and man overboard (MOB) techniques. Chapters also outline ways to prepare your boat and crew before you leave the dock. Practice sessions, checklists and an enhanced additional resources section are included.
The seminar may also be presented by any yacht club or boating organization interested in the topic with free assistance from the CCA.
The course covers a range of essential safety practices, with particular emphasis on completing a safe voyage with a small crew. Topics include:
- Importance of Teamwork and Confidence Building
- Dealing with Emergencies
- Person Overboard and Recovery Under Sail and Power
- Other Emergencies
- Know Before You Go: GPS, VHF, Using Charts and Chart-plotters
- Navigation and Safety Equipment
- Getting Help DSC Distress Communications
- Preparing Yourself and Your Boat
- Additional Resources and Checklists