The Cruising Club of America and New York Yacht Club offer the International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-On Training course at various dates throughout the year. Successful completion of this course yields a World Sailing (formerly ISAF) Approved Offshore Personal Survival Course certificate.
Graduates of this or similar courses offered by other institutions are eligible to participate in a "level 200" course, such as offered by NYYC/CCA and the Storm Trysail Club that offers intensive, on-boat practice in such techniques as MOB recovery.
This course can be conducted upon request for large groups (minimum of 30 people). It is normally conducted at Roger Williams University but may be possible to be conducted elsewhere in New England if suitable facilities are available. Please contact our Safety at Sea program coordinator for available dates and pricing at email@example.com.
The course has two parts:
- Part 1: US Sailing’s Online Offshore Safety at Sea Course. This online course is included in the price for the course and must be completed before attending part 2 of the course. If you have already completed this course, or an in-person equivalent, or are completing the course as a refresher, you may register with a reduced fee.
- Part 2: A one-day session that includes both classroom and hands-on practical training.
The online portion covers such topics as heavy weather, marine weather, offshore communications, medical matters, man overboard prevention and recovery, crew preparation and training, essentials of damage control, personal safety equipment, and more.
The in-person portion will update participants on with latest information on safety equipment, sailing incidents, and regulations; then move to a practical section with experienced instructors that includes use of flares, firefighting, damage control, safety equipment as well as pool time using personal flotation devices and life rafts.
This course includes several significant benefits:
- The US Sailing Online Offshore Safety at Sea Course - $85 value
- Hard copy of the “Safety at Sea Core Topics Handbook” – $26 value
- A one-year membership in US Sailing (or renewal for current members) - $65 value.
Course schedule (registration opens approximately six months before event)
NOTE: See the order page for specific date availability. Dates are filling! If our courses are full or the dates don't work for you, we recommend attending the a similar hands-on course offered by the Storm Trysail Foundation on May 16. You can get further information and register here: https://stormtrysail.
- March 14, (full)
- March 15 2020 (Full)
- May 9, 2020 (Cancelled)
- May 16 level 200 at Harbour Court (not yet open for signup, not eligible for certificate Cancelled)
- June 13 and 14, 2020 The 2020 Newport Bermuda Race is cancelled. These two identical courses are tentatively scheduled pending evaluation of the COVID-19 situation. Students from the cancelled March, May, and June 15 courses will automatically be offered slots in these courses. (signups to be added shortly)
- June 15, 2020
- Oct 17 2020
- January 16, 2021
- March 27, 2021
- March 28, 2021
- October 16, 2021
- Online portion: The online portion of the course is quite comprehensive. Participants should plan on 12 to 16 hours to complete the online portion of the course.
- Rescheduling: You may reschedule to a future course for no additional charge.
- Cancellation: Refunds less credit card fees, the course book, and US Sailing membership will be granted for cancellations prior to 6 weeks before the course. Within 6 weeks of the course start date we can offer a refund if your slot in the course can be filled from the wait list. Note: In any case if you have already used the coupon to start the online course, we will cannot refund the $85 cost of the online course, however you may reschedule to a future course up to one year after completing the online course for no additional charge.
- Courses for large groups (minimum 25 people) can be arranged. The course content would be identical to the normal course and would it would be held at Roger Williams University. Contact the Safety at Sea program manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for available dates and pricing.