The Cruising Club of America offers the International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-On Training course at various dates throughout the year. Successful completion of this course yields a World Sailing (formerly ISAF) Approved Offshore Personal Survival Course certificate.
This course can be conducted upon request for large groups (minimum of 30 people). It is normally conducted at Roger Williams University but may be possible to be conducted elsewhere in New England if suitable facilities are available. Please contact our Safety at Sea program coordinator for available dates and pricing at email@example.com.
The course has two parts:
- Part 1: US Sailing’s Online Offshore Safety at Sea Course. This online course is included in the price for the CCA course and must be completed before attending part 2 of the course. If you have already completed this course, or an in-person equivalent, or are completing the course as a refresher, you may register with a reduced fee.
- Part 2: A one-day session that includes both classroom and hands-on practical training.
The online portion covers such topics as heavy weather, marine weather, offshore communications, medical matters, man overboard prevention and recovery, crew preparation and training, essentials of damage control, personal safety equipment, and more.
The in-person portion will update participants on with latest information on safety equipment, sailing incidents, and regulations; then move to a practical section with experienced instructors that includes use of flares, firefighting, damage control, safety equipment as well as pool time using personal flotation devices and life rafts.
This CCA course includes several significant benefits:
- The US Sailing Online Offshore Safety at Sea Course - $85 value
- Hard copy of the “Safety at Sea Core Topics Handbook” – $26 value
- A one-year membership in US Sailing (or renewal for current members) - $65 value.
Course schedule (registration opens approximately six months before event)
- Jan 11 2020
- March 14, March 15 2020 (Classes either day)
- May 9, 2020
- June 15, 2020 (just prior to the Newport to Bermuda race. This course date is intended only for those Newport Bermuda Race participants that due to exceptional circumstances were unable to attend one of the many courses in the previous year. A premium of $100 in addition to the normal fee will be charged for this course. The program administrator may waive the premium fee for bona fide extenuating circumstances)
- Oct 17 2020
- January 16, 2021
- March 28 2021
- October 16, 2021
- Online portion: The online portion of the course is quite comprehensive. Participants should plan on 12 to 16 hours to complete the online portion of the course.
- Rescheduling: You may reschedule to a future CCA course for no additional charge.
- Cancellation: Refunds less credit card fees, the course book, and US Sailing membership will be granted for cancellations prior to 4 weeks before the course. Within 4 weeks of the course start date we can offer a refund if your slot in the course can be filled from the wait list. Note: In any case if you have already used the coupon to start the online course, we will cannot refund the $85 cost of the online course, however you may reschedule to a future CCA course up to one year after completing the online course for no additional charge.
- Courses for large groups (minimum 25 people) can be arranged. The course content would be identical to the normal CCA course and would it would be held at Roger Williams University. Contact the CCA Safety at Sea program manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for available dates and pricing.